As your uterus grows and expands to accommodate your growing baby it is normal to have at least a little stiffness and/or muscle tension. Most pregnant women I see complain of lower back pain, muscle cramps and constipation.
Prenatal massage is becoming very popular as pregnant women begin to recognize the benefits it has to offer. It can help support your health and vitality as your body changes. Massage also helps you achieve balance during a time of great change, treating some of the side effects of pregnancy, but also leave you feeling relaxed.
• relieves headaches caused by tension or a build up of metabolic waste in the body
• eases constipation, gas, heartburn as general relaxation will stimulate intestinal movements
• reduces excess fluid retention by gently guiding fluid into circulation where it can be eliminated
• can help relieve pain in your muscles and joints that now must support added and redistributed weight
• can promote restful sleep and decrease pregnancy related insomnia
• can decrease stress, anxiety or fear
This list of benefits can go on and on…
Blooma’s trained prenatal massage therapists will provide you with the best care. Most physicians, chiropractors and other health care providers will recommend prenatal massage, however be sure to check with your doctor and discuss any conditions that you might have before making an appointment (click on Bodywork/Wellness).
During your session you can expect to be supported with comfy pillows and bolsters. Depending on how far along you are you may experience the session laying on your side. At Blooma we have special prenatal pillows that allow you to lay face down! I often have a hard time getting mama’s to leave the “on the belly” position because it feels so good to lie that way again. The body cushions will support you and the baby, while relieving tension on your lower back so that you can relax comfortably for the hour.
Of course it is fine to interrupt the session if you need to use the restroom. Be sure to communicate with your therapist any areas of discomfort or concern.
Pregnancy is such a huge change for you body, mind and spirit. Take the time for a prenatal massage. Take care of yourself and your new baby with a prenatal massage to better cope with the new demands on your body and life.
Stacy, Sarah & the women of Blooma