Birth Story: A Hypnobabies “Bubble of Peace”


{By Alayna}
Photos by Lindsay McCoy

My story starts 4 days past my “guess date.” I decided I needed some fun to distract me from anxiously awaiting my baby’s arrival. I saw Blooma was hosting a Belly Mapping and Belly Painting night with Spinning Babies and thought it would be perfect. During the class we found out our baby was ROT (Right Occiput Transverse), which is considered a posterior position. I was shown a couple of exercises I could do and left feeling a little worried about the position. The next night I headed back to Blooma for my usual Sunday night yoga class with our doula, Lindsay. She gave me the Hypnobabies track “Turn, Posterior Baby, Turn.”

That night I gave it a try before going to sleep. Two hours later I got up to go to the bathroom and used my new belly mapping skills to find out that my baby had turned! She was now on the left side of my belly and therefore better able to put pressure on my cervix. I went back to sleep excited that my baby was in an optimal position and astonished at how powerful the mind really is (what a confidence boost for birth!).

Only two hours later, at 3 a.m. I awoke to what felt like a very small gush of fluid and what I was pretty sure were waves. They were 7 minutes apart and about 30 seconds long. I tried my best to get back to sleep and by 6 a.m. they were five minutes apart. I woke up Lance and told him to keep sleeping but that today would be the day! Then I called Lindsay to let her know. She recommended the Deepening and Fear Clearing tracks. I listened to Fear Clearing and Birthing Day Affirmations while lying in bed.


That morning was the beginning of what was suppose to be one of the biggest snowstorms of the year. I started getting worried about the roads so at 8 a.m. I called Lindsay and told her she should probably come before the snow got too heavy. She arrived at 10 a.m. Once she arrived I was able to relax more and did some small cleaning around the house and put last minute items in my hospital bag. We ate some lunch and then decided to go for a walk, trudging through almost six inches on the ground already. Lance stayed and shoveled the driveway. It felt good to walk and I was able to walk through the waves.

At 2 p.m. Lindsay rebozo sifted my belly and we all listened to Birthing Day Affirmations while sitting around in the living room. As things progressed we gently and calmly eased into more active birthing time. Lindsay started doing Hypnobabies birth prompts as well as massaging my back. We decided to call the clinic and let them know we would be birthing today.

By 3 p.m. the waves were becoming stronger so we decided to time a few, they were now regularly 3 minutes apart. We decided we should probably leave soon since we were unsure of the road conditions. Lance packed up the car and I got set up in the passenger seat with pillows and “Visualize Your Birth” playing in my ear buds.


The drive was about 40 minutes; I closed my eyes and drifted deep into hypnosis, completely “off.” I remember this feeling so good and as the car came to a stop at the hospital I gently came back to. I sat for a minute putting on my “bubble of peace,” envisioning in it myself, Lance, and Lindsay as we walked through the hospital and just as easily as I imagined it we were soon in the triage room.

I changed out of my boots and snow gear into my flowing short skirt and flip-flops. The hospital was warm and I felt so safe and cozy knowing I was in the place I was going to meet my daughter. Almost like a mother bear that is tucked away in a cave to give birth to her cubs only to emerge after the storm. I knew we would have a calm and amazing experience no matter what chaos was happening outside.

The nurse checked me and I was at 3 cm. She wrote it down and showed Lance and Lindsay. I decided I did not want to know because I didn’t want the number to discourage me, I knew I was progressing just as my body needed too. It was about 5 p.m. when we were shown into our birthing room. I was feeling a bit tired so I laid down and was so peaceful the nurses came in and asked if I was even having waves still. We assured her that yes I was — I was just very calm because of my hypnosis. Things were pretty quiet because of the snowstorm and the nurses mostly left us to ourselves, which was nice.

A bit later our nurse told us my family had arrived so we went to say hello and walked around the unit. During waves I would stop and lean on Lance for support. At 7 p.m. my waves were two minutes apart and I said very calmly and matter of factly “These are really strong.” I peacefully listened as Lindsay recited birth prompts. An hour later we decide to fill the Jacuzzi tub. I was checked before going in and the nurse was very surprised to see I was at 8 cm since I was so calm.



The tub felt so good. The pressure I had been feeling during my waves disappeared. The only way I knew I was having them was my breathing would change and I began chanting the “Peace” cue on exhales. I started to feel a bit nauseous after an hour and half in the tub so we moved to the bed. I was leaning over the bed as Lindsay encouraged me with birth prompts and massaged my hips which felt amazing.

I laid on my side in bed and within a few waves I felt my water release. Around 11 p.m. my body began pushing during the waves, “I’m pushing” I said, it was like it was effortless. Lindsay turned on the “Pushing Baby Out” track. I listened to my body and pushed when I felt I needed too. I remained so calm and relaxed in between and during pushing waves.

I was lying comfortably on my side when the doctor came in. My doctor had called in sick at the last minute and I could tell by this doctor’s attitude he was not thrilled to be there. Lindsay reminded me to keep up my bubble of peace even as he was demanding I moved to my back. I was so relaxed and calm I just moved to my back, not saying anything to the doctor but knowing I was close and I could do this!

I kept my bubble of peace so strong Lindsay said it was like she could see it. The room was bustling with activity and staff but the only voices I heard were Lance and Lindsay. Only ten minutes after the doctor arrived, I heard my sweet baby’s first cry.

Adelyn Elizabeth was born at 2:06 a.m. I had no idea what time it was, I thought maybe 9 p.m. at the latest. The affirmation “Every twenty minutes of your birthing time seems like only five” rang very true for me as I was truly shocked when they told it me it 2 a.m. I listened to what my body needed through the whole process and never got too tired. Thanks to Hypnobabies, Blooma and my amazing support team I had a pain-free natural birth. Immediately after birth I told Lindsay, even through 20 hours of birthing and three hours of pushing, “I didn’t feel any pain at all, only pressure!” My Hypnobabies birth was the most beautiful and amazing experience I have ever had!


One Response to “Birth Story: A Hypnobabies “Bubble of Peace””

  1. MG

    Great and encouraging story. Thanks for sharing!


Leave a Reply